[Snort-users] Snort and Barnyard2

Josh Bitto jbitto at ...16055...
Wed Feb 6 16:21:41 EST 2013

Ok so if I wanted to run a query where I wanted the src and dst IP plus view event and signature tables as well....Can that be done?

Also....would running these query's have the data line up with the actual date and times that the event actually occurred?

-----Original Message-----
From: beenph [mailto:beenph at ...11827...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:31 PM
To: Y M
Cc: Josh Bitto; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net; barnyard2-users at ...16082......
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort and Barnyard2

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Y M <snort at ...15979...> wrote:
> Sorry for not detailing my reply. For  example try querying snort
> database
> with:
>
> SELECT ip_src, INET_NTOA(ip_src)
> FROM acid_event;

IP src/dst data in the default schema is not stored in the acid_event table but the iphdr table.

So a query could look like this:

Assuming mysql:

SELECT INET_NTOA(ip_src),INET_NTOA(ip_dst) FROM iphdr WHERE sid="XXX"
AND cid="XXX";

Now, i am not sure i understand what Josh Bitto mean by "the store IP are not the same as the captured IP".
barnyard2 will store whats found in the unified2 file, did you validate the content of your unified2 file using u2spewfoo or u2boat to export contained packets to pcap file and compare that information?

-elz