[Snort-users] Question about SNORT Sensor Placement

Jeremy Hoel jthoel at ...11827...
Tue Dec 31 15:02:40 EST 2013

Check your variables for home and external.  Since your snort box is
sniffing OUTSIDE your firewall, home is going to be your one IP that
the cable modem/firewall gets (assuming the firewall is doing NAT).
external should be everything else.  Does the cable modem act as a
router too?  is there a private network between it and the firewall or
is the firewall getting the outside address?  Does that change often
so that it's going to be hard to know what it is?

Having it on the inside vs the outside is a matter of what you can
see/control and ease of use.  if someone scans you all day long, do
you want to see all those even though they are not getting through the
firewall?