[Snort-users] ERROR: dynamic detection lib is compiled with an older version of the dynamic engine

Michael Heard mizelhike at ...125...
Sat Aug 17 13:38:20 EDT 2013

Hi
I am installing Snort 2.9.5.3 using the instructions here:
http://www.snort.org/assets/158/snortinstallguide293.pdf

After troubleshooting several issues, I am stumped by this error when attempting to run snort:

>sudo snort -u snort -g snort -c /usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -i eth0

ERROR: Dynamic detection lib /usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicrules/nntp.so 1.0 isn't compatible with the current dynamic engine library /usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so 2.1.
The dynamic detection lib is compiled with an older version of the dynamic engine.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

The error seems to indicate that I need a newer dynamic rule set that is compatible with the dynamicengine I am running.  However, I am using 2950 rules, which are the latest available to Registered Users here (though slightly older than the Snort version I am running):
http://www.snort.org/snort-rules/

I copied the precompiled rules as follows:

>sudo cp /usr/local/snort/so_rules/precompiled/Ubuntu-10-04/i386/2.9.5.0/* /usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicrules/

I also tried the 12-04 precompiled rules, since I am running the latest Ubuntu, with the same results.

What am I missing?

-Mike