[Snort-users] Barnyard2 startup error: Snort not compiled to use mysql but --with-mysql option invalid

beenph beenph at ...11827...
Wed Apr 24 16:00:04 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Kurt Jensen <kjensencissp at ...11827...> wrote:
> hello:
>
> We have a working install of Snort 2.9.4.5 on SuSE 12.2 that logs fine but we need to use Barnyard2 and send this data to mysql.  We did not know of any manual steps or added options being required to compile Snort for mysql use with barnyard.  When we start barnyard2 for use with Snort, mysql and Snorby we get the "snort not compiled for use with mysql" errors and barnyard2 fatals out.
>
> We found some options online for snort compiling that also did not work or: ./configure --with-mysql
>
> when trying that option or several versions of it the compile runs to the end but then fails at this step and flags it as an  invalid option.
>
> Can anyone tell us what the correct command and options are please to compile Snort and Barnyard to use mysql?
>
> Thanks!

To configure barnyard2 with mysql you will need to download barnyard2 source.

>From : www.github.com/firnsy/barnyard2
Direct tarball link :
http://www.github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/archive/master.tar.gz

Then you will need to make sure you have installed mysql client
libraries and headers (this is generaly mysql-dev package on most
distro).

>From there you will need to make sure your mysql libraries are in your
libaries dynamic path.

ex: ldconfig -v | grep mysql

If you have no row you will need to find the path of your mysql
libraries and add it to /etc/ld.so.conf
then retype ldconfig to make it load the new libraries and then
re-execute the above command to validate that
the libraries are now in the dynamic library cache.

>From there you will be able to run barnyard2 configure correctly.
./configure --with-mysql

then make

and you can decide to run make install or copy the binary where ever
you like and continue with the process.

Hope this helps,

-elz