[Snort-users] Snort Start up error

Said Nurhussein saidnur34 at ...125...
Fri Apr 19 22:42:34 EDT 2013

Hello Friends,
I un-installed, re-installed snort again, recreated the directories, it's  is now starting OK.
Thank you all for your help!!!

Said Nurhussein

From: amani at ...14362...
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:04:42 -0400
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort Start up error

I've run into this a time or two myself when I had commented out something above, where the line before what I'd commented out wasn't fully terminated (i.e. had a "\" at the end to indicate multi-line config). I'd take a look at what's directly above the line for including your classification.config (probably the IP rep preprocessor), and see if you accidentally messed something up there.

Also, verify that this directory exists: /usr/local/snort/rules/black_list.rules

If not, then: sudo touch /usr/local/snort/rules/black_list.rules

In /usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf, verify that this line:

var BLACK_LIST_PATH ../rules

var BLACK_LIST_PATH /usr/local/snort/rules