[Snort-users] Snort Start up error

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Thu Apr 18 18:13:44 EDT 2013

On 4/18/2013 17:38, Said Nurhussein wrote:
> thanks Waldo. I have classification.config in /etc/snort.conf from the install
> but don't see version# when I display it.

there is no version number in the classification.config file that i'm aware of...

the file should be just over 3K bytes in size and contain roughly 70 lines...
one of those lines should contain the misc-activity classification entry... the
entry you are looking for will likely be toward the bottom in the "# NEW
CLASSIFICATIONS" section...

>  > Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:18:16 -0400
>  > From: wkitty42 at ...14940...
>  > To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>  > Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort Start up error
>  >
>  > On 4/18/2013 11:23, Said Nurhussein wrote:
>  > > Hello All,
>  > > I've installed snort 2.9.4. 5 and using rules files
> snortrules-snapshot-2941.tar.gz
>  > > but when i try to start snort I get the following error.
>  > >
>  > > ERROR: /etc/snort/rules/blacklist.rules(2) Unknown ClassType: misc-activity
>  > > Fatal Error, Quitting..
>  > >
>  > > How can I fix this.
>  >
>  > check that your classification.config is the latest one... you can find the
>  > location of this file by its include line in yor snort.conf file... it is
>  > generally found at the end of the section above your rules inclusion
section...