[Snort-users] Commented rule triggering alerts

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Wed Apr 10 21:11:17 EDT 2013

On 4/10/2013 16:36, Joao Daniel Neves wrote:
> Joel Esler,
> I'm not using pulledpork!

it would only be in effect if you updated or ran it to update the rules you want
active or not...

> Waldo Kitty,
> I sorry I did not know that. The rule is 1:381.
> (http://www.snort.org/search/sid/1-381)

ok... that's what i thought... this is from your ALERT or is this just where you
found (the first occurence of) it??

> Y M,
> I dont have protocol-icmp.rules file.

what version of snort are you running? snort -V (case is important!)

how do you update your rules? when was the last time you updated them? i guess
we can assume that you haven't updated your snort.conf for the new rules files
that you are apparently not aware of ;)

> As the guys can see the rule is commented:
> ### alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP-INFO PING Oracle
> Solaris"; dsize:8; itype:8; classtype:misc-activity; sid:381; rev:9;)
>
> What I think is a little stranger according to Snort site this rule is trigged
> when "... when an ICMP echo request is made from a Solaris host running SING
> software."
>
> As the guys can see I dont have any reference to that SING software on the rule.
> I don't know if it makes sense.

remember, snort doesn't know and cannot tell what software actually issued that
ICMP packet... 1:381 is apparently one of the (very) old community rules from
way way back... the msg: in that rule was put in place by a human...

run your grep again... maybe like this instead ;)

grep -i -E "sid:\W*381;" /path/to/your/*rules*/*.rules

that should walk the directories in your /path/to/your/rules files... even if
they are /path/to/your/so_rules or /path/to/your/rules or
/path/to/your/preproc_rules etc... etc...

the \W* is in there because some rules may still have the space in them that is
allowed for...

eg: sid: 123

these should have been adjusted a long while back so there was no space but
there may still be some floating around in the various rules sets :)