[Snort-users] Choosing a firewall with Snort

Kevin Ross kevross33 at ...14012...
Sat Sep 29 10:03:40 EDT 2012

Hi,

Here are a few screenshots I made of my home pfsense box of snort (I have
changed some rule settings for the screenshots to show more critical stuff
which will require less tuning than some other categories you don't want to
block on in threshold.conf. The other thing you can do is have it write to
an external database (i.e have mysql point to another snort database on
another host and use a web interface like snorby to look at the alerts. Not
great in a home environment and a large environment you are likely to have
dedicated snort/monitoring boxes but great.

As I said a few negatives like not remembering specific rules you have
disabled (categories are fine) and you are stuck with the options it gives
you in the GUI but it is more than enough and the best snort implementation
I have seen in any opensource UTM before you get to some of the other
features and packages.

Hope that is more helpful with screenshots.
Kevin