[Snort-users] Barnyard2 - v2-1.10 is released

Nigel Houghton nhoughton at ...1935...
Fri Sep 28 09:54:11 EDT 2012

On Sep 28, 2012, at 12:58 AM, AllowOverride <allowoverride at ...11827...> wrote:

> he configuration is installed by default
> to /usr/local/etc/barnyard2.conf
>
> exactly my point! why /usr/local, why not /etc/snort. /usr/local should
> be used for stuff that is not a service, but local programs. snort is a
> daemon, and daemon traditionally go in /etc, freebsd users
> are /usr/local/etc, cuz ports like putting things there. i guess i
> should have mentioned im using linux.
>
> aside from where this and that is placed, /usr/local/etc/barnyard2.conf
> as a location makes no sense to me. it just gets burried, and the vast
> majority wont find it there until they run a script that says, it can't
> find such and such, then pulledpork will say, it cant find rules,
> barnyard2, so forth. sorry this is my only point here.

For Linux things (if only the distributions followed this):

 http://linux.die.net/man/7/hier

and FTW:

 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html

--