[Snort-users] Snort / Barnyard2 Placement

beenph beenph at ...11827...
Wed Sep 26 17:36:37 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Turnbough, Bradley E.
<bturnbough at ...15650...> wrote:
> Say I have 50 Sensors and 1 web server with snorby / mysql / apache….
>

> Do you guys recommend putting barnyard2 on the 50 sensors and then inserting
> the data over to wire to the mysql database, or should I ship the U2 files
> over to the webserver with 1 instance of Barnyard2 and insert the data from
> there?

I would personally suggest over the wire for the reason that you want
to have context.

Each of your sensor represent a part of the network coverage, if you
aggregate them how do you
differentiate context if for example you are monitoring
two internal network that are different and have the same addressing.

-elz