[Snort-users] Taking action on exploit attempts

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Tue Sep 25 23:58:35 EDT 2012

On 9/22/2012 06:32, Pratik Narang wrote:
> Asking this as a general opinion of experienced users...
>
> Just now I see I have had about 40 hits in one second for the rule 1:16008,
> which corresponds to CVE-2007-6239:
>

>         WEB-MISC Multiple Products excessive HTTP 304 Not Modified responses
>         exploit attempt <http://www.snort.org/search/sid/16008>
>
>      In this particular case, do I need to do anything?
>
>      What does general wisdom say in this regard?

the main wisdom is does this affect you and your network... are the URLs being
requested hitting the intended software that the rule is intended to protect and
are they really trying to exploit that software's 304 mechanisms...