[Snort-users] Looking for a prebuilt Snort IDS Distro

Pak Chan brightlilim at ...11827...
Fri Sep 21 17:29:39 EDT 2012

That may be true, but there are people who just need an IDS, and having an
easy-to-use IDS appliance (which is effectively what a distro is, or should
be) will help that. Most people won't delve into the code to understand how
it works underneath, in the same way that most people just purchase and
install firewalls without understanding how they work. It means they won't
get the best out of it, but it's a great deal better than if they didn't
have one at all.

Personally, I'm in that situation at the moment. The last time I looked at
an IDS was one I had helped to build about ten years ago, and it was so
primitive compared to the capabilities modern ones have. I'm getting back
into it again, and finding myself short on time to learn about the
fundamentals, I've decided to go for the SecurityOnion distro. It doesn't
satisfy everything I want (yet), but that's down to my lack of experience
in tweaking it. I'll get better as I learn more about it, but I don't want
to be exposed in the meantime. I'll settle for less-than-ideal in the short
term.

Pak
"Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,
and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."