[Snort-users] Automatically block IP on firewall box from snort IDS

John Ives jives at ...15416...
Tue Sep 18 20:01:54 EDT 2012

To give you another option, though one that would require installing
yet another tool (it does have its own uses), you could also look at
using OSSEC. It has the ability to launch scripts based upon events
(syslogd or via its agent) and already has some scripts for
manipulating firewall rules. Additionally, it has can monitor other
logs like web, mail, etc. for events that you may want to generate a
reaction from (say a attack going over SSL) that IDS may not see.

Yours,

John

On 9/18/2012 10:31 AM, beenph wrote:
> [...]
>
>> From what i understand the plugin will communicate with the
>> snortsam
> agent and the agent will dispatch the blocking mechanism based on
> how it is configured.
>
> I will snip part of the info found in the conf file and in code
> comment.
>
> /* * Purpose: * * This module sends alerts to a remote service on a
> host running SnortSam * (the agent) which will block the intruding
> IP address on a variety of * host and network firewalls. * *
> SnortSam also performs checks against a white-list of
> never-to-be-blocked IP addresses, * can override block durations
> (for example for known proxies), and can detect attack conditions *
> where too many blocks are received within a defined interval. If
> an attack is detected * it will unblock the last x blocks and wait
> for the attack to end. * * See the SnortSam documentation for more
> information. * * * Output Plugin Parameters:
> *************************** * * output alert_fwsam: <SnortSam
> Station>:<port>/<key> * *  <FW Mgmt Station>:  IP address or host
> name of the host running SnortSam. *  <port>:         Port the
> remote SnortSam service listens on (default 898). *  <key>:
> Key used for authentication (encryption really) *              of
> the communication to the remote service. * * Examples: * * output
> alert_fwsam: snortsambox/idspassword * output alert_fwsam:
> fw1.domain.tld:898/mykey * output alert_fwsam: 192.168.0.1/borderfw
> 192.168.1.254/wanfw * * * sid-fwsam Parameters:
> *********************** * * <sid>:   who[how],time; * *  who: src,
> source, dst, dest, destination *          IP address to be blocked
> according to snort rule (some rules *          are reversed, i.e.
> homenet -> any [and you want to block any]). *          src denotes
> IP to the left of -> and dst denotes IP to the right * *  how:
> Optional. In, out, src, dest, either, both, this, conn, connection
> *          Tells SnortSam to block packets INcoming from host,
> OUTgoing to host, *          EITHERway, or only THIS connection
> (IP/Service pair). *          See 'fw sam' on Firewall-1 for more
> information. *          This option may be ignored by other
> plugins. * * time: Duration of block in seconds. (Accepts 'days',
> 'months', 'weeks', *       'years', 'minutes', 'seconds', 'hours'.
> Alternatively, a value of *       0, or the keyword PERManent,
> INFinite, or ALWAYS, will block the *       host permanently. Be
> careful with this! *          Tells SnortSam how long to inhibit
> packets from the host. * * Examples: * * 1487: src[either],15min; *
> 1292: dst[in], 2 days 4 hours * 1638: src, 1 hour * */
>
> -elz
>

>> -- Joel Esler Senior Research Engineer, VRT OpenSource Community
>> Manager Sourcefire
>>

>> On Sep 18, 2012, at 7:15 AM, Pratik Narang
>> <pratik.cse.bits at ...11827...> wrote:
>>
>> Isnt Snortsam functionality already there in Barnyard2 ??
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Kevin Ross

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference
>>> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security
>>> and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can
>>> respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile
>>> security and the latest in malware threats.
>>> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
>>>
>>> Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the
>>> latest Snort news!

Live Security Virtual Conference
>> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security
>> and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>> Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and
>> the latest in malware threats.
>> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/_______________________________________________

Snort-users mailing list