[Snort-users] Automatically block IP on firewall box from snort IDS

ML mail mlnospam at ...131...
Tue Sep 18 15:34:37 EDT 2012

Short question here regarding the sid-fwsam parameters such as "1487: src[either],15min;": where do I put these parameters? The documentation of Barnyard2 mentions a file called sid-block.map, is that correct?

Best,
ML

________________________________
 From: beenph <beenph at ...11827...>
To: Joel Esler <jesler at ...1935...>
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Automatically block IP on firewall box from snort IDS

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Joel Esler <jesler at ...1935...> wrote:
> I haven't used barnyard2 in years, but it is my understanding, and I'd like
> to see beenph comment on this thread that Snortsam's functionality has moved
> into the barnyard2 codebase.  It may be in the git master build (not yet
> rolled into an official release)

I have never tested the plugin which was originay written by Frank
Knowbles and Integrated in by2 by Firnsy
Its part of by2 since 2-1.9.

>From what i understand the plugin will communicate with the snortsam
agent and the agent will dispatch
the blocking mechanism based on how it is configured.

I will snip part of the info found in the conf file and in code comment.

/*
* Purpose:
*
* This module sends alerts to a remote service on a host running SnortSam
* (the agent) which will block the intruding IP address on a variety of
* host and network firewalls.
*
* SnortSam also performs checks against a white-list of
never-to-be-blocked IP addresses,
* can override block durations (for example for known proxies), and
can detect attack conditions
* where too many blocks are received within a defined interval. If an
attack is detected
* it will unblock the last x blocks and wait for the attack to end.
*
* See the SnortSam documentation for more information.
*
*
* Output Plugin Parameters:
***************************
*
* output alert_fwsam: <SnortSam Station>:<port>/<key>
*
*  <FW Mgmt Station>:  IP address or host name of the host running SnortSam.
*  <port>:         Port the remote SnortSam service listens on (default 898).
*  <key>:              Key used for authentication (encryption really)
*              of the communication to the remote service.
*
* Examples:
*
* output alert_fwsam: snortsambox/idspassword
* output alert_fwsam: fw1.domain.tld:898/mykey
* output alert_fwsam: 192.168.0.1/borderfw  192.168.1.254/wanfw
*
*
* sid-fwsam Parameters:
***********************
*
* <sid>:   who[how],time;
*
*  who: src, source, dst, dest, destination
*          IP address to be blocked according to snort rule (some rules
*          are reversed, i.e. homenet -> any [and you want to block any]).
*          src denotes IP to the left of -> and dst denotes IP to the right
*
*  how: Optional. In, out, src, dest, either, both, this, conn, connection
*          Tells SnortSam to block packets INcoming from host,
OUTgoing to host,
*          EITHERway, or only THIS connection (IP/Service pair).
*          See 'fw sam' on Firewall-1 for more information.
*          This option may be ignored by other plugins.
*
* time: Duration of block in seconds. (Accepts 'days', 'months', 'weeks',
*       'years', 'minutes', 'seconds', 'hours'. Alternatively, a value of
*       0, or the keyword PERManent, INFinite, or ALWAYS, will block the
*       host permanently. Be careful with this!
*          Tells SnortSam how long to inhibit packets from the host.
*
* Examples:
*
* 1487: src[either],15min;
* 1292: dst[in], 2 days 4 hours
* 1638: src, 1 hour
*
*/

-elz

> --
> Joel Esler
> Senior Research Engineer, VRT
> OpenSource Community Manager
> Sourcefire
>

> On Sep 18, 2012, at 7:15 AM, Pratik Narang <pratik.cse.bits at ...11827...>
> wrote:
>
> Isnt Snortsam functionality already there in Barnyard2 ??
>

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Kevin Ross <kevross33 at ...14012...>
> wrote:
>>
>> Use snortsam for this http://www.snortsam.net/
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kevin
>>

>> On 18 September 2012 10:40, ML mail <mlnospam at ...131...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a network configuration where I run snort separately on a
>>> dedicated Linux box and have therefore another OpenBSD box which is
>>> dedicated to the firewall task. Now because these two security tasks are not
>>> on the same physical machine I was wondering how can I automatically block
>>> on my OpenBSD firewall specific events which happens on my snort box?
>>>
>>> For example, I see some brute force SSH login attemps to my network
>>> coming from a specific external IP. Here I would like to block that external
>>> IP on my OpenBSD firewall for let's say 1 hour. What would be the best
>>> solution to do that?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your suggestions.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> ML