[Snort-users] Updating Rules with PulledPork and no outsid connection

Dheeraj Gupta dheeraj.gupta4 at ...11827...
Mon Sep 17 13:05:40 EDT 2012

> I need to run PulledPork on a closed network.
>
> The run line I have is:
> 'perl d:\winids\pulledpork\pulledpork.pl -c
> d:\winids\pulledpork\etc\

pulledpork.conf -v -T -n'

I'm pretty sure the -n tells PulledPork to process locally?

Yes -n will tell pulledpork to process rule files locally rather than go
for download.

There are two files that need to be used and I'm not sure what to do with
> them?
> 1) snortrules-snapshot-2931.tar.gz
> 2) opensource.gz

The first one is your signature file(Contains all the signatures that
pulledpork will put in appropriate files. The second one is the
documentation of the signatures (Stuff like english explanation of
vulnerability/signature. References to the vulnerability and revisions).
The first one is necessary in order to run snort. The second one is more
for completeness sake(In case you want to refer to signatures offline)

Do these lines need to be hashed out?
> rule_url=https://www.snort.org/reg-rules/|snortrules-snapshot.tar.gz|
> <oinkco
> de>
> rule_url=https://www.snort.org/reg-rules/|opensource.gz|<oinkcode>

If you specify the -n option you can comment-out(hash-out) these lines or
leave them as it is, it doesn't matter. But there is an entry in
pulledpork.conf about "path_to_temp_folder" or something like that. You
need to put a valid path in that setting and copy your
snortrules-snapshot-2931.tar.gz *in* that directory. After that pulledpork
-c /path/to/pulledpork.conf -n should work.

It would be good idea t read the pulledpork configuration file before
running it for the first time