[Snort-users] typical errors when trying pulledpork

Jack kingofnerds at ...11827...
Sat Sep 8 12:44:28 EDT 2012

It looks like you are using snort to output to a database. It is more
efficient to use barnyard2 to do database output.

On Sep 7, 2012 9:32 PM, "PR" <oly562 at ...11827...> wrote:

> [...]
>       `--==\\  /    PulledPork v0.6.1 the Smoking Pig <////~
>        `--==\\/
>      .-~~~~-.Y|\\_  Copyright (C) 2009-2011 JJ Cummings
>   @_/        /  66\_  cummingsj at ...11827...
>     |    \   \   _(")
>      \   /-| ||'--'  Rules give me wings!
>       \_\  \_\\
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Checking latest MD5 for snortrules-snapshot-2920.tar.gz....
>         They Match
>         Done!
> Prepping rules from snortrules-snapshot-2920.tar.gz for work....
>         Done!
> Reading rules...
> Generating Stub Rules....
>         An error occurred: !! WARNING: The database output plugins are
> considered deprecated as
>
>         An error occurred: WARNING: ip4 normalizations disabled because
not
> inline.
>
>         An error occurred: WARNING: tcp normalizations disabled because
not
> inline.
>
>         An error occurred: WARNING: icmp4 normalizations disabled because
not
> inline.
>
>         An error occurred: WARNING: ip6 normalizations disabled because
not
> inline.
>
>         An error occurred: WARNING: icmp6 normalizations disabled because
not
> inline.
>
>         Done
> Reading rules...
> Reading rules...
> Reading rules...
> Activating Security rulesets....
>         Done
> Setting Flowbit State....
>         Enabled 637 flowbits
>         Enabled 47 flowbits
>         Enabled 4 flowbits
>         Enabled 2 flowbits
>         Done
> Writing /etc/snort/rules/snort.rules....
>         Done
> Writing /usr/local/etc/snort/rules/so_rules.rules....
>         Done
> Generating sid-msg.map....
>         Done
> Writing /usr/local/etc/snort/sid-msg.map....
>         Done
> Writing /var/log/sid_changes.log....
>         Done
> Rule Stats....
>         New:-------0
>         Deleted:---0
>         Enabled Rules:----6129
>         Dropped Rules:----0
>         Disabled Rules:---6875
>         Total Rules:------13004
>         Done
> Please review /var/log/sid_changes.log for additional details
> Fly Piggy Fly!
>

> suggestions about the error above? thanks. pete
>
> On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 18:17 -0400, Joel Esler wrote:
> > If you are not a subscriber, yes. You'll need to wait your 15 minutes.
> >
> > But no, 2.9.2 is no longer supported. Please see the bottom of
http://www.snort.org/vrt/rules/eol_policyfor currently supported versions
and when they will expire.

> > --
> > Joel Esler
> >
> > On Sep 7, 2012, at 4:17 PM, PR <oly562 at ...11827...> wrote:
> >
> > > i guess i should wait 15 mins? i dont think i can grab another since i
> > > dont pay for rules... what do you think? should i just go for it?

/usr/local/etc/pulledpork-0.6.1/etc/pulledpork.conf

./pulledpork.conf -c /usr/local/etc/pulledpork-0.6.1/etc/pulledpork.conf -I
Security

./pulledpork.conf -c /usr/local/etc/pulledpork-0.6.1/etc/pulledpork.conf -I
Security
6d31c34a34b8e7d8a42751d16b50e3dda634XXXX:

 You
http://x.y.z/|a.tar.gz|123,http://z.y.z/|b.tar.gz|456

https://www.snort.org/reg-rules/|snortrules-snapshot.tar.gz|

ignore=deleted,experimental,local,decoder,preprocessor,sensitive-data

UNIQUE

backup=/usr/local/etc/snort,/usr/local/etc/pulledpork,/usr/local/lib/snort_dyn

pid_path=/var/run/snort.pid,/var/run/barnyard.pid,/var/run/barnyard2.pid

ONLY

Snort news!