[Snort-users] Pulled Pork

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Tue Oct 30 10:55:48 EDT 2012

On Oct 30, 2012, at 5:14 AM, Peter Bates <peter.bates at ...15381...> wrote:
> On 30/10/2012 08:49, k vijay sai prashanth wrote:
>> So basically there is a 30 day trial during which you can only update the
>> rules once 15 minutes? Isn't that a reasonable enough amount of time? How
>> much is small amount that you are referring to? I wanted to install
>> PulledPork for the IDS installed for my organization. Is this an annual
>> amount?
>
> You might be best looking at:
>
> In a nutshell - you can register for an account on snort.org, get an 'oinkcode'
> and then download the rules for free - but they will be 30 days behind.
>
> The paid subscription gives you access to the rules when they are released.

Yes, let's be clear, it's not a 30 day trial.  It's a 30 day delay.  Our entire ruleset is free and open to use, just 30 days behind.  Subscription gives you access to the rules the day they are released.  Subscribers also get the 15 minute delay lifted.

We have the 15 minute delay in place, as there are some people who like to download the entire ruleset every 5 seconds.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT