[Snort-users] Alerts with the incorrect Source IP (proxy server)

Jeremy Hoel jthoel at ...11827...
Wed Oct 24 13:27:20 EDT 2012

What snort alerts what the IPs are from inside the packet. If you
tcpdump that same connection and you are seeing the proxy talk to the
client, and that's the packets that are making the alert then the way
to fix that is to move the span port location.  Snort only reports
what it sees and it can't 'infer' what the original source of the
packets are.

But more examples of your network layout and an example of the alert might help.