[Snort-users] FW: CPU load generated by Snort

Tony Reusser treusser at ...15879...
Fri Oct 19 10:12:39 EDT 2012

Here's how I do it.

Open up one ssh window to your snort box.  Type the command 'tail -f
/var/log/messages'

Then in another window issue a SIGUSR1 kill signal to your snort PID:

# kill -10 [snort PID]

This will tell snort to dump its current statistics to syslog.  The tail
command conveniently shows it immediately, but it is in there to find later
if you want.  At the top of the list of stats is "packets captured / packets
analyzed / packets dropped.

Hope this helps.

                -Tony Reusser

P.S. This command doesn't actually "kill" your snort process.  It interprets
this "signal" as  "dump stats and keep running."