[Snort-users] CPU load generated by Snort

Pratik Narang pratik.cse.bits at ...11827...
Fri Oct 19 02:37:58 EDT 2012

To justify hardware needs for our IDS/IPS/Firewall setup, I need to show
how much load my present Snort setup - which is only a test bed setup-
generates on the CPU and thus justify the need of servers required.

The 'top' command in linux shows me that Snort is using 18% of memory and
7% of CPU (fairly low, and I only use Core2duo processors).
How do I get the information that how much Snort is loaded compared to its
full capacity (a single instance of it, of course), how many packets it is
seeing per second and if it is dropping any packets (say due to some
mistake is configuration on my part)?

Thanks.