[Snort-users] Wireless IDS monitoring using Snort

Tue Oct 16 16:45:19 EDT 2012

Putting snort outside your firewall/router will quickly fill up your snort database with tons of alerts.  That might not be what you want (or maybe it is?)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Hoel [mailto:jthoel at ...11827...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:56 PM
To: Chuck DiRaimondi
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Wireless IDS monitoring using Snort

Well if you just wanted to monitor traffic from wires/wireless <-> outside then span the port that the outside connects on.  If you want to watch traffic to/from wired to wireless then you span that port also.  It depends on what you want to watch specifically.

So in your case, if your router is also the wifi, then no, you won't see that traffic.  If you go:

Cable modem <-> switch <-> router/wifi <-> computers

and then just have the span port on the switch on either the cable modem port or the router port, and you will see all the traffic.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Chuck DiRaimondi <charlesd81 at ...11827...> wrote:
> Stupid question and maybe I'm not thinking properly with regards to my
> home network and lab topology...Can Snort be used to monitor both a
> wired and wireless home network? In setting up my lab, I was going to
> place a Netgear switch after my home router and use port mirroring to
> capture all the traffic. So it would go cable modem, router, one cable
> from router to switch, then each machine running off the switch, with
> the sensor being on a port that is mirroring traffic. I'm assuming
> then that all traffic going wirelessly out would be missed because it
> is skipping the switch where the sensor is altogether. Am I right? Are
> there any ways to configure a home network to use Snort to monitor both wired and wireless traffic?

> Snort news!

Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev