[Snort-users] How to turn off a rule

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Thu Oct 11 17:09:44 EDT 2012

If he is using PP, then there is a specific process to use. Not sure at this
point how he is preforming rule management.

Michael...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Hoel [mailto:jthoel at ...11827...]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:40 PM
To: AllowOverride
Cc: snort-users
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] How to turn off a rule

You comment our a rule that you don't want, then restart snort for that
change to take effect.

In the case of SSH protocal mismatches, it's probably not a rule, but the
preprocessor.. in which case;

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=snort+ssh+Protocol+mismatch

There's been a lot of talk about various way to disable to alert to match
your needs.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM, AllowOverride <allowoverride at ...11827...>
wrote:
> ok, my understanding is to turn off a rule in snort.rules by simply
> putting a # or commenting it out, in front of the rule.
>
> my question is:
>
>             #22-(2-5946)
> [snort] ssh: Protocol mismatch
>
> turn off this rule.
>
> what do i look for, there are a shyt load of ssh rules.
> maybe look for leading line stating 22?
>
> or grep 5946, in snort.rules, right?
>
> thanks!
>
> ps this is a false positive, as i am 192.168.1.35 connecting to
> 192.168.1.14.. its me.

news!