[Snort-users] There appears to be a bug in Base-1.4.5

Tue Oct 9 19:11:22 EDT 2012

Hi Dustin,

I'd like all alerts to be "rolled up" into one line like BASE does.  I'd like to be able to have the "unique IP links" per SID view like BASE has.  I didn't see that last time I looked at snorby, maybe that is there and I missed it?

As far as StreamDB/OpenFPC, can you have both of them at the same time?  The lookup API sounds interesting... I'll have to look into that again.  HIPS is SEP, it's a MSSQL database... (there is a possibility to use Symantec System Center and hook into that.)

No, I'd rather use your product-but it didn't fit my requirements at the time, if it does now, that's great!  As far as vulns in BASE, I'm sure there is, but I have it very locked down... I don't let just any computer connect to it-which in my case is an adequate compensating control (among others.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dustin Webber [mailto:dustin.webber at ...11827...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 3:54 PM
To: Jefferson, Shawn
Cc: Snort-Users Users
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] There appears to be a bug in Base-1.4.5

Shawn,

What is your "workflow"? I am curious to hear how snorby can't adapt to it. Also, Snorby supports StreaDB and OpenFPC and with the lookup source api in snorby adding CVE queries would be dead simple. Integration with you HIPS is another story since you didn't name the product you use but I bet that likely is already there as well.

If I understood you correctly you are willing to jump start a dead project (mad vulns exist in the code base still un-patched) then commit to a new actively developer project? I'm not sure I understand the logic in this, can you explain more?

- Dustin