[Snort-users] There appears to be a bug in Base-1.4.5

Tue Oct 9 18:43:27 EDT 2012

Who is officially the "maintainer" of BASE now?  Is BASE 2.x still being worked on?

Personally I like BASE 1.4.5, and have added a few features to my version of it that improves the analyst experience (IMO, and in my network).  I've seen the messages about it being dead, and I've been thinking someone should take it over... (maybe even me, although I'm not a developer by trade, I can hack around in php... someone else would be better, but no one seems to be stepping up to the plate?)  Some support is better than no support I guess?

Snorby is probably a better option, but at the moment, the "workflow" in Snorby doesn't match my needs (and the fact I've made modifications to add CVE lookup to patch management, StreamDB and OpenFPC lookup, and also correlation with my HIPS product.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Castle, Shane [mailto:scastle at ...14946...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:23 PM
To: snort-users
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] There appears to be a bug in Base-1.4.5

Actually, there are lots of bugs in BASE-1.4.5. And, the answer seems to be: nobody. You can go to the web site (http://base.secureideas.net/) and add your bug report to those already there (Under Support/Bug reporting) but it's not really going to be seen by anyone useful, and nothing will come of it.

Yes, we might as well face it: BASE is dead. It was pretty good while it lasted, and I used it right up until I took the Security Onion pledge. Now my primary tool is the Sguil client and I rarely use Snorby (sorry, Dustin - I just don't like it).

(Removed snort-team from CC list - they have zero interest in BASE and this is just noise to them.)

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT