[Snort-users] Extracting snortrules-2931.tar.gz

AllowOverride allowoverride at ...11827...
Tue Oct 9 15:51:48 EDT 2012

when i say something doesnt work, i mean, it doesnt work:

wget
http://www.snort.org/sub-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2900.tar.gz/hidden-sorry--2012-10-09 12:44:42--  http://www.snort.org/sub-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2900.tar.gz/hidden-sorry
Resolving www.snort.org... 23.23.170.170
Connecting to www.snort.org|23.23.170.170|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2012-10-09 12:44:42 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

wget
http://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2900.tar.gz/sorry-hidden
--2012-10-09 12:45:54--
http://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2900.tar.gz/sorry-hidden
Resolving www.snort.org... 23.23.143.143
Connecting to www.snort.org|23.23.143.143|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2012-10-09 12:45:56 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

and just for good measure

wget
http://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2931.tar.gz/sorry-hidden
--2012-10-09 12:47:03--
http://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2931.tar.gz/hidden-again
Resolving www.snort.org... 23.23.170.170
Connecting to www.snort.org|23.23.170.170|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2012-10-09 12:47:04 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

now. the last one shouldn't work, becuz im not a register user
the sub rules works if you know what you are doing...

If you include 2931 inplace of 2900 it will work, only if you are in the
system for oinkcode. BUT, that is not what is autopopulated for you on
the oinkcode page. it says, 2900. it wont work.

all i am saying fix is, change it to reflect the CURRENT version. thats
all. not everyone will catch it, and ya know, end up asking the question
here.

let's let the developers put the current version as well. takes what, 2
seconds and saves users HOURS of wtf.. headaches...

thanks