[Snort-users] Extracting snortrules-2931.tar.gz

Jeremy Hoel jthoel at ...11827...
Tue Oct 9 15:19:51 EDT 2012

The link he was using worked fine for me. I tested the get and got the
rules with no no problem.. with the link he had. His problem is not
related to a bad link.

The examples show that you need a file name
(http://snort.org/snort-rules/cli) and when you go to the page before,
the main download page (http://snort.org/snort-rules/?), it shows the
file names. They are not trying to make this overly confusing and
hard.. but it does require some effort and understanding on the
installers part. Or, you could sign in and grab them from the gui, or
use pullpork.  3 different methods to get the rules..

The examples are generic enough that they don't have to change
whenever the rule file changes.  Lets let the developers work on
keeping the software fixed and nor worry about the web page not having
the most specific instructions.