[Snort-users] Snort / Pulled Pork Confusion

Thu Oct 4 14:33:22 EDT 2012

You can run snort with all those rule files if you want, download and extract them manually, or you could probably even use Oinkmaster if you'd like.  But why?  There's a better tool out there to do this now, with many great features that take into account how Snort has evolved over time.

DAQ, and database support: these things let Snort keep up with the times as far as link speeds and traffic volume go, as well as providing more flexibility (ie. you can run in-line or in IDS mode easily with the same code).

Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean it should be back the way it was.  Why don't you just buy a turnkey solution if you're having so much trouble?  Sourcefire sells them, as well as many other companies.

-----Original Message-----
From: AllowOverride [mailto:allowoverride at ...11827...]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:07 AM
To: Jeremy Hoel
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net; Turnbough, Bradley E.
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort / Pulled Pork Confusion

ok let me get this straight, we had to install snort and have a rules file for it to run, or at least with local.rules, and now you are saying we need pulledpork as the snort.conf is false in that is still has RULE PATHS defined... very confusing,,, and on top of all that, define rules in everything in barnyard2 but make sure to type it in cmdline, oh and nnot able to connect to db locally remotely lol. this just is so convoluted from the old snort... just put everything back the way it was, drop daq, forget inline, and run tcpwrappers and a good firewall...
whats the whole point of ids anyway... you will be stuck in false positive land for infinity... what you want is to protect your network, now, snort inline, that makes sense, but trying to get everything to work with base is not working anymore???

good gravy guys.... your firewall show drop repeat offenders, and allow snort to log to db. run multiple snorts if you are worried to drop packets, no one here has that much traffic, dont say you do, i wont believe you. point is, put things back the way they were as in snort 1.x thanks

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 21:13 +0000, Jeremy Hoel wrote:
> pulledpork puts all the rules together into one file.. so you can
> remove/comment out all the lines for the 'include $RULE_PATH/*.rules'
> and just have include $RULE_PATH/snort.rules' line.  Just one is
> needed.
>

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Turnbough, Bradley E.
> <bturnbough at ...15650...> wrote:
> > Guys,
> >

> > I’m having a little trouble wrapping my head around the snort and
> > pulled pork interaction.  In the snort.conf file, the following
> > rules are defined (by default):
> >

> > include $RULE_PATH/attack-responses.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/backdoor.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/bad-traffic.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/blacklist.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/botnet-cnc.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/chat.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/content-replace.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/ddos.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/dns.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/dos.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/exploit.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/file-identify.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/finger.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/ftp.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/icmp.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/icmp-info.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/imap.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/info.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/misc.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/multimedia.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/mysql.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/netbios.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/nntp.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/oracle.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/other-ids.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/p2p.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/phishing-spam.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/policy.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/pop2.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/pop3.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/rpc.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/rservices.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/scada.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/scan.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/shellcode.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/smtp.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/snmp.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/specific-threats.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/spyware-put.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/sql.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/telnet.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/tftp.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/virus.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/voip.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/web-activex.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/web-attacks.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/web-cgi.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/web-client.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/web-coldfusion.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/web-frontpage.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/web-iis.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/web-misc.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/web-php.rules
> >
> > include $RULE_PATH/x11.rules
> >

> > When I compile snort, the $RULE_PATH directory isn’t created.  I
> > create it by `mkdir /opt/snort/rules`.  I then run pulled pork with
> > the following
> > command:
> >

> > ./pulledpork.pl -c /opt/pulledpork/etc/pulledpork.conf -o
> > /opt/snort/rules/ -i /opt/pulledpork/etc/disablesid.conf -T –H
> >

> > The only file that shows up is `snort.rules`  where are all of the
> [...]

Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev