[Snort-users] Issue extracting my snortrules

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Thu Oct 4 11:19:13 EDT 2012

On Oct 4, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Akinwale Fasuru <fashman2k1 at ...131...> wrote:

> Hello,
> Please I need help extracting my snort rules with this command
> # tar -xzvf snortrules-2931.tar.gz
> I get this erro message
>
> zip: stdin: not in gzip format
>
> tar: Child returned status 1

> I downloaded the file with this command # # wget
> http://www.snort.org/sub-rules/snortrules-snapshot-
> 2923.tar.gz/<oinkcode> -O snortrules-2931.tar.gz

I have an interesting question, while it doesn't answer your question directly..

Why are you downloading the 2923 ruleset and renaming it 2931?

Why not just download the 2931 ruleset?

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT