[Snort-users] Snort and real-time alerting

JJC cummingsj at ...11827...
Thu May 24 15:40:17 EDT 2012

I understand what you are saying, and in theory it can certainly
provide some insight into attacks against what it is that "you" are
"trying" to "protect".. that said.. why are you even allowing mysql
from the outside in your example, seems like a bad practice in the
first place, this is the kind of thing that generic firewalls and
logging thereof are for, no?  That type of thing notwithstanding, if
you can turn on more rules and look at traffic that may be "real"
attack traffic against things that "you" "don't" have, and still be
able to manage your alert volume, then more power to ya, I say if it
works for you then stick with it.. certainly not my methodology though
and I don't see how it's scalable in an environment with significant
traffic volume and a potentially large attack surface.

JJC