[Snort-users] Snort and real-time alerting

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Thu May 24 12:09:20 EDT 2012

On 5/23/2012 15:45, JJC wrote:
> Tune that system..

agreed...

> I can fairly safely assume that if you have 20,000
> rules enabled, you are looking for attacks against stuff that you
> don't have.

that's a bad thing? if "you" attempt to see if "i" have mysql accessible from
the outside by trying to throw an attack at it, "i" want you blocked...
period... even if "i" never use mysql ever... the same statement applies if
"you" throw wordpress hacks at my network and "i'm" not running any dynamic
pages at all... or VOIP SIP scans... or SOLARIS telnet buffer overruns... etc...

"you" tried something dirty... that's all the proof needed in my book...
watching only for traffic that might affect the stuff you do run is allowing a
whole mash of other unnecessary traffic into your network that is attempting to
attack stuff you don't run... why allow any bad traffic at all? would you like
someone to test your house/apartment front door all the time every day to see if
it is unlocked or would you do something about it? ;)