[Snort-users] vendor list surfing

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Tue May 22 12:05:19 EDT 2012

On May 21, 2012, at 10:46 PM, Sallee, Stephen (Jake) wrote:

> Thank you Joel.  These lists are invaluable, and I would not like to see them turned into playgrounds for overzealous marketing departments.

Agreed.  I keep a tight restriction even on our sales dept about advertising via the lists or information from the lists.

I am going to make the option available to Snort users who want to hear more about Sourcefire products.  But it will never be via the mailing lists.

> BTW you may want to take a look @ safemedia they are selling an appliance based on snort but I cant find any mention of snort on their site ... SNORT is still GPL code right?

Of course.  Lots of companies use Snort and the VRT Integrator License to put our product on their hardware.  It all depends on how they are using it.

> If any one from safemedia reads this, please know its nothing personal ... we all have to play by the rules, thats all.

Safemedia contacted me this morning and let me know that it was an overzealous sales person who was not aware of the policy.  They assured me it won't happen again.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT