[Snort-users] Snort & Pulled Pork questions

Weir, Jason jason.weir at ...14916...
Thu May 17 12:22:54 EDT 2012

Thanks Joel any ETA?

Jason

From: Joel Esler [mailto:jesler at ...1935...]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:36 AM
To: Weir, Jason
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort & Pulled Pork questions

What we are going to start doing is releasing a version of the Shared
Object rules for the new version so people can upgrade right away.  The
text rules will always work.

On May 17, 2012, at 9:20 AM, "Weir, Jason" <jason.weir at ...14916...> wrote:

Working on updating to the latest version of snort (2.9.2.3) and using
pulledpork (0.6.1).

For those of us that are not paying subscribers of the VRT rule set
updating to the latest issue within the first 30 days causes issues..

I updated from 2.9.2.2 to 2.9.2.3 yesterday, when pulled pork runs it
detects the snort version and attempts to download the correct rule set,
well for me there is no rule set and won't be for 30 days..

Now I can manually set the snort version to 2.9.2.2 in pulledpork.conf
as long as 2.9.2.2 rules are compatible with 2.9.2.3 (which Joel
indicated they are.  This time..).

What happens when a change is made that make the older rules not
compatible?

Are my choices to (1) not upgrade to the latest snort version for 30
days, until "free" rules are available, or (2) purchase a rule
subscription?

Thanks,

Jason