[Snort-users] Distributed Snort

Adam Orton Adam.Orton at ...15637...
Fri May 11 13:18:18 EDT 2012

Thanks guys, I'll give that a go when I'm back in the office! Have a good weekend.

Sent from my Blackberry

From: Ian Bowers [mailto:iggdawg at ...11827...]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 05:59 PM
To: Joel Esler <jesler at ...1935...>
Cc: Adam Orton; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Distributed Snort

I actually do what you're asking 2 ways in my lab.  I have 2 snort sensors monitoring 2 different segments.  They both have their own DB and BASE GUI.  I'm playing with snorby and sguil as well, but for some reason BASE always makes more sense to me.  Anyways, snort outputs to unified2 on each sensor.  Barnyard has 2 DB output lines for each, with hostname-interface as the sensor name.  So basically each BASE install sees the alerts from both sensors

The other way I've done it is by having each sensor report only to their own database.  Then I define the other sensor's database as the "archive database" in base_conf.php .  This way whichever sensor I'm on I can switch between what dataset I'm looking at by clicking "use archive database" or "use snort database".   This is how I originally set things up when I was comparing the alerts I'd get from snort and suricata when using the same ruleset for both.  It helped me keep the data more segregated and cut down on how specific I'd have to be during searches.

Regards,
-Ian