[Snort-users] Distributed Snort

Ian Bowers iggdawg at ...11827...
Fri May 11 12:59:22 EDT 2012

I actually do what you're asking 2 ways in my lab.  I have 2 snort sensors
monitoring 2 different segments.  They both have their own DB and BASE GUI.
 I'm playing with snorby and sguil as well, but for some reason BASE always
makes more sense to me.  Anyways, snort outputs to unified2 on each sensor.
 Barnyard has 2 DB output lines for each, with hostname-interface as the
sensor name.  So basically each BASE install sees the alerts from both
sensors

The other way I've done it is by having each sensor report only to their
own database.  Then I define the other sensor's database as the "archive
database" in base_conf.php .  This way whichever sensor I'm on I can switch
between what dataset I'm looking at by clicking "use archive database" or
"use snort database".   This is how I originally set things up when I was
comparing the alerts I'd get from snort and suricata when using the same
ruleset for both.  It helped me keep the data more segregated and cut down
on how specific I'd have to be during searches.

Regards,
-Ian