[Snort-users] How to detect OS with Snort?

Kevin Ross kevross33 at ...14012...
Tue May 8 19:06:49 EDT 2012

I take it this is due to a policy enforcement in which windows is not
allowed? p0f may be a more useful tool to run for this to passively try and
fingerprint the OS as it passes. If you are trying to do it via user agent
something like this may work:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> any any (msg:"WINDOWS User Agent Detected";
flow:established,to_server; content:"Windows"; nocase; http_header;
pcre:"/User\x2DAgent\x3A\x20[^\r\n]*Windows/Hi";
classtype:policy-violation; sid:149881; rev:1;)

I don't think snort is the best for this though. If it is actual attacks
you are better off looking at detecting attacks from existing sigs that are
out there.

If you don't mind me asking so we can understand what you are trying to get
to: why is it you want to detect Windows machines on your network? If it is
enforcement I would look at making the case for other tools such as
packetfence http://www.packetfence.org/home.html but I will try and think
of something if you let me know what you hope to achieve with this so I
understand what you need to look at.

Kindest Regards,
Kevin Ross