[Snort-users] snort.org IP address changes

Ben Trufanow btrufanow at ...15631...
Mon May 7 17:40:52 EDT 2012

Hi All

The IP number for www.snort.org<http://www.snort.org> seems to flux, which I suspect is due to it being hosted by AWS.

Our network guys require an outbound ACL to permit our snort boxes to find their updates. This past March, when the updates were failing and based on what IP was assigned to that host at the time, I got the network people to put in 23.21.248.121/32 (and also 207.171.160.0/19 based on prior change ticket mentioning that the /19 was also an Amazon range that was needed).  This basically worked until recently. Today I see 23.21.68.40 and the updates are again failing.

What is the best IP range to use in order to whitelist www.snort.org<http://www.snort.org> for successful updates?

Thanks! Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find any prior reference.

Ben

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the named recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution of this message or any attachments is expressly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

DISCLAIMER OF ELECTRONIC TRANSACTION: Unless expressly stated otherwise in a written communication in other than electronic form, or unless the author expressly designates a written portion of this electronic communication to be an "electronic signature" and clearly and unequivocally specifies the writing to which that electronic signature applies, nothing contained herein or in any communication in connection herewith shall satisfy the requirements for a writing, nor constitute a contract, agreement, or electronic signature, as those terms are defined in or contemplated by the Electronic Signatures In Global and National Commerce Act, 15 U.S.C. Section 7001 et seq, or the Uniform Electronic Transaction Act as adopted by any state or any other statute governing electronic transactions.