[Snort-users] Fwd: How to detect OS with Snort?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Tue May 8 22:09:35 EDT 2012

On 5/8/2012 15:25, Borja Luaces wrote:

> Firstly, thanks.
>
> i know that Nmap is a better tool but the fact is that the rule is to detect
> specific attacks from windows OS. The company I work for does not allow me to
> install anything else. I have to do it with snort this is why I am trying that
> rule but it seems not to work.

what does it matter what OS an attack originates from? detect the atack and
drop, alert or block as necessary... what i saw your rule doing appeared to be
only detecting possible user agents in http headers but those are faked all the
time with valid ones appearing along with invalid ones... i can tell you that
they are coming from all different OS' no matter what OS the UA says it is...
witness forum spammer's tools and infiltration techniques...