[Snort-users] snort passively monitoring transparent squid proxy

Trembly.MaryEtta Trembly.MaryEtta at ...15614...
Wed May 2 13:27:12 EDT 2012

I am trying to use snort to passively monitor traffic on a squid proxy. Watching snort at the command line I can see it "sees" the traffic but it does not alert on any of the traffic no matter what I tell it to do with the various logging methods. Is it necessary to put it into inline mode to be able to alert on transparently proxied traffic directly on the proxy server?

MET

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and sensitive. If you are not the intended recipient, or otherwise have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email at the above referenced address and note that any further dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

The U.S. Export Control Laws regulate the export and re-export of technology originating in the United States. This includes the electronic transmission of information and software to foreign countries and to certain foreign nationals. Recipient agrees to abide by these laws and their regulations -- including the U.S. Department of Commerce Export Administration Regulations and the U.S. Department of State International Traffic in Arms Regulations -- and not to transfer, by electronic transmission or otherwise, any content derived from this email to either a foreign national or a foreign destination in violation of such laws.