[Snort-users] Empty output (unified) files

Alojzy Kleks testing4tester at ...14432...
Thu Mar 22 08:49:32 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I've installed snort on Ubuntu using the official documentation on Snort website (except installing reporting tool as I'm using snorby). When installation is completed, I wanted to test it. To my big suprise, snort is creating unified output files, but they're empty. I was testing using nmap with intense scanning (including both TCP and UDP) as well as LOIC, but all the files have size of zero. When I redirect output to -A console, I can clearly see the packets, also when I cancel snort process, in the summary I can clearly find statistics, but still nothing can be found in the files.
Any tips and tricks will be highly appreciated.