[Snort-users] DAQ Mod issue

Chris Standring cstandring at ...15541...
Wed Mar 21 16:15:17 EDT 2012

I am trying to get the DAQ modules compiled and installed for snort.  I am able to run "./config *needed flags*" and then run "make" to which i get no errors and all is looking well.  When i run "make install" it gets through most of what it needs to do and then errors out with the following:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libdnet.a(addr.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libdnet.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
libtool: install: error: relink `daq_ipq.la' with the above command before installing it
make[2]: *** [install-pkglibLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/downloads/daq-0.6.2/os-daq-modules'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/downloads/daq-0.6.2/os-daq-modules'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I have been researching for what I am missing as I am under the assumtion that all needed libraries will be linked during this last phase.  Am i incorrect with this assumption and do I need to link a file manually?

I am running ubuntu server 11.10 x64

Chris Standring
Network Engineer

127 John Clarke Road, First Floor
Ocean Technology Plaza
Middletown, RI 02842
Tel: 401-239-5212
Cel: 207-939-3593
Toll Free: 888.554.6327
Fax: 401.537.9119
Web: http://www.lineartitle.com
Email: cstandring at ...15541...

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.