[Snort-users] traffic

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Fri Jun 22 15:03:15 EDT 2012

On Jun 22, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Deepika p <dgpks1 at ...11827...> wrote:

> Commencing packet processing (pid=5296)
>
>  here it stuck off till 30 minutes and system  connected to Internet
>
> Is it because of Interfaces ? Do I need to add any interface to my windows 7 and it is of what kind ? Plz suggest a solution.

"Commencing packet processing" means that Snort is working.  Sitting there sniffing away.

So, now you need to review the logs and Snort is producing.

However, since you didn't issue snort the -c argument for snort.conf, and instead issued it -v, (which essentially means print to screen), you may be listening on the wrong interface.  (-i).  Try other interfaces.  One of those should print packets to screen.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT