[Snort-users] Building standard DAQ on Ubuntu 12 LTS

Peter Bates peter.bates at ...15381...
Tue Jun 12 07:26:51 EDT 2012

Hello all

Ultimately I'm trying to build Snort against PF_RING on
Ubuntu 12 LTS - 64-bit.

I first thought I'd try and build the standard DAQ and then a normal
Snort on the new system.

I've built a PF_RING-enabled libpcap, which is in /usr/local/lib.

Some other apps (httpry/passivends) are linked against it and run fine.

The standard package (libpcap-dev) is not installed.

Building DAQ 0.6.2, I try:

./configure --with-libpcap-includes=/usr/local/include
- --with-libpcap-libraries=/usr/local/lib

In the output:

checking pcap.h usability... yes
checking pcap.h presence... yes
checking for pcap.h... yes
checking for pcap_lib_version in -lpcap... no

checking for pcap.h... (cached) yes
checking for pcap_lib_version... checking for pcap_lib_version in
- -lpcap... (cached) no

    ERROR!  Libpcap library version >= 1.0.0 not found.
    Get it from http://www.tcpdump.org

If I install the standard libpcap-dev and obviously drop the flags to
configure, configure completes.

In /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu I have:
libpcap.a
libpcap.so -> libpcap.so.0.8
libpcap.so.0.8 -> libpcap.so.1.1.1
libpcap.so.1.1.1

In /usr/local/lib:
libpcap.a
libpcap.so -> libpcap.so.1
libcap.so.1 -> libpcap.so.1.1.1
libpcap.so.1.1.1

/usr/local/lib is included in the LD path as it is referenced in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/

Am I doing something seriously dumb here?

Thanks.

- --
Peter Bates
Senior Computer Security Officer    Phone: +44(0)2076792049
Information Services Division	    Internal Ext: 32049
University College London
London WC1E 6BT