[Snort-users] BASE and Snorby running together

Castle, Shane scastle at ...14946...
Wed Feb 22 18:49:43 EST 2012

I'm giving up on the idea of running BASE on SO, now. I guess I was just wistful for the old days.

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT
CISSP GSEC GCIH

-----Original Message-----
From: Dustin Webber [mailto:dustin.webber at ...11827...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 15:58
To: Castle, Shane
Cc: Jason Wallace; security-onion at ...14071...; Snort-Users
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] BASE and Snorby running together

Shane,

RE: Searching -- This is in the works, pretty easy to add but the design/workflow gets a bit more challenging. Most of my time has been spent on Snorby 3.0.0 however, this weekend I'll hack it in.

RE: Timestamps -- Snorby existed before Security Onion. i.e. It was not built just to be included. Why would SO enforcing UTC mean Snorby should conform? I do agree it should be a customizable option. (This is pretty low on the priority list. SUPER low.. because srsly.. do math)

Just so I fully understand let me go over the facts from your last email.

1. You're not a fan of fixing XSS/SQL inject.
2. You downloaded Security Onion and instead of using Sguil (currently still the best open source IR application) you installed a vulnerable php and setup BASE. Since you have personal problems with Snorby.. I would love to hear why BASE is better then Sguil.. Please, do tell.

Best Regards,

Dustin