[Snort-users] Barnyard2 - CYGWIN - Windows Compile

beenph beenph at ...11827...
Sun Feb 19 21:23:45 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Michael Steele <michaels at ...9077...> wrote:
> I've tried to leave a message with Firnsy, and a message in one of the
> Google groups about getting this compiled, but no response.

I think you sent the message only to me and i was going to respond.

> I'll post in her to see if things can get cleared up. It appears that
> Barnyard2 can be compiled for use with Windows, using CYGWIN as the
> compiler.
>
> https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/commit/f71a8d3136970aef184bbab071532a239
> 03584d2

The branch you whould be using is
https://github.com/binf/barnyard2/tree/pre-stable
OR
https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/tree/pre-stable

Mine is a few commit ahead and got some unrelated  bug fix and will
get merged when testing is done with.

I would suggest that you wait for the release version to make a
"package" since 2-1.9 will not compile under CYGWIN.

Now to compile under CYGWIN you will need
(see attachement for package details)

But mainly it stand out to the following.
1: compiler package (gcc)
2: autotools/autoconf.
3: winpcap  for pcap headers.
4. If you plan to compile some output module, make sure you compiled
the required software so it can actually be linked.

> I've checked out the latest code and  it does look like all the necessary
> bits have been added to do this.
>
> I've never used CYGWIN to compile. Suricata provides a guide on how to
> compile for Windows. Barnyard2 should be doing this, but doesn't.

Currently in its form Windows native support is not a priority.
I understand this could frustrate a small amount of users but this is why
CYGWIN support was tested and added.

One of the goal of the next MAJOR release of barnyard2 is windows
compatibility/compilation,
but its not in the top 10 feature and could be added down the road.

> Is there anyone that can help in getting this compiled for use in Windows? I
> will create a guide, and get it out to the masses so hopefully it will clear
> up any confusion on how to do this in the future

I appreciate your effort trying to support windows users and if you
have further inqueries
let us know on our ML's or to our e-mails.

I hope this will help you a bit.

-elz