[Snort-users] Basics of setting up an inline snort installation

Heine Lysemose lysemose at ...11827...
Thu Feb 9 13:54:53 EST 2012

Here's my input...

Test Snort with this command
/usr/local/snort/bin/snort --daq afpacket -Q -c
/usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -i eth1:eth2 --daq-dir /usr/local/lib/daq

If you like to run it as a daemon add -D to the line above.

Configure the network interfaces eth0, eth1 and eth2. Interface eth0,
management interface, will have a static IP address on our internal LAN and
eth1 and eth2 will be setup in promiscuous mode.

Edit /etc/network/interfaces

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual
up ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 up
up ip link set eth1 promisc on

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet manual
up ifconfig eth2 0.0.0.0 up
up ip link set eth2 promisc on

Also try looking at this site from SecurityOnion,
http://code.google.com/p/security-onion/wiki/NetworkConfiguration

/Lysemose