[Snort-users] Basics of setting up an inline snort installation

Russ Combs rcombs at ...1935...
Thu Feb 9 13:22:12 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:11 PM, PS <packetstack at ...11827...> wrote:

> When I first setup snort inline I only had two interfaces. One being my
> wan interface (eth0) and the other the LAN interface (eth1). I am able to
> run inline with just those two interfaces, but it is not recommended. Both
> are set to promiscuous mode. So it can be done with two if you really need
> to. Both interfaces have IP addresses.
>
> As for them needing IP addresses, I am not sure how it could be inline
> without IP addresses. How would traffic be routed?

Inline operation doesn't require IP addresses on the non-management port
and it is probably better that they don't have IP addresses.  In inline
mode you are just a "bump in the wire", and not routable apart from the
management port.