[Snort-users] [Snort-devel] Public Bugzilla? [was: threshold -- is it really deprecated?]

Joshua Kinard kumba at ...10880...
Sun Feb 5 04:08:57 EST 2012

On 02/05/2012 00:57, Joel Esler wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 02:45:05PM -0500, Joshua Kinard wrote:
>> On 01/23/2012 11:18, Joel Esler wrote:
>>
>>> Just let everyone know what we've done as a result of this conversation.
>>>  We've put in a couple of bugs to track this/these issue/issues and we're
>>> going to evaluate what we can do to satisfy the requirements/opinions
>>> stated here.  I'll follow up with this thread when we make progress.
>>

>> Slight deviation in topic, but have you guys ever thought of making Snort's
>> internal bugzilla (or other such issue tracker) publicly-accessible?  I
>> imagine there's some things you guys want to keep to yourself, and most
>> ticketing systems should have a "developer only" bit in them.
>>
>> Might help better manage comments/ideas/bugs/patches from the community if
>> we can file those into a ticket tracker and then get CC'ed when updates happen.
>
> Followup to this.  We had a bugzilla system.  It seems that no one ever used it.  It's different from our internal bugzilla system that we actually commit code with and annotate.  So I made the decision to kill it.  Reason being, most bugs and feature requests are submitted through the bugs[@] email address.  I handle all the bugs that come into the system through the community anyway and provide feedback to the reporters when I know more.  I think to have a bugzilla system public would be the same thing, another system for me to log into and move the bugs to our internal system, and vice versa.
>
> I thought about encouraging the devel team to use the public system, but we can't as things affect product as well, as don't have a public product system as not all of our code is open source.
>
> So I think the way the community has been submitting bugs up to this point is working for us just fine, I see no need to make another process for people to deal with, both externally, and internally.

Sounds good.  LKML ran for years before adding a public bugzilla to deal
with those that like that system.  I'd say that, 95% of patches and bugs
still come in on that mailing list, though, so it's a system that works.
Worth an inquiry.

Cheers!

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic