[Snort-users] Snort 2.9.1.2 exits on file upload

Sudarshan Raghavan sudarshan.t.raghavan at ...11827...
Thu Feb 2 11:38:55 EST 2012

Hi Russ,

My answers are inline. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Sudarshan

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Russ Combs <rcombs at ...1935...> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Sudarshan Raghavan
> <sudarshan.t.raghavan at ...11827...> wrote:
>>
>> I can see in the 2.8.5 sources that ipq_read error does not result in
>> snort exiting. It calls ipq_perror and continues to read. Is this an
>> ok behaviour to go back to. It is not ideal but having snort die is
>> not the best solution either. Can I get rid of the break in
>> PacketLoop?
>

> What version of the DAQ tarball and IPQ DAQ (./snort --daq-list) are you
> using?  That should have been fixed a while back.

I am using ipq and nfq
Available DAQ modules:
nfq(v6): live inline multi
ipq(v5): live inline multi

> Assuming you have the latest, if you are only running IPQ updating snort.c
> is an option.  If you might run other DAQs, including pcap, suggest making
> the change in the IPQ DAQ module itself (daq_ipq.c).

I am not using pcap. I am using snort 2.9.1.2. Can I copy snort.c from
2.9.2 sources? Unfortunately I cannot move to 2.9.2 at this point in
time.

> Also, it would be helpful if you could send the specific error so that can
> be ignored.

The error that I am seeing is ""Can't acquire (-1) - ipq_daq_acquire:
ipq_read=-1 error Failed to receive netlink message". On another
system that has more memory and a higher rmem and wmem, the same test
works just fine. I am not sure if these two config settings make any
difference.