[Snort-users] cannot authenticate to MSSQL database from BASE

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Thu Feb 2 10:41:07 EST 2012


During the guided setup you would have transferred a test.php file to the
root of the webserver (wwwroot), and invoked it from the browser. If the
display was correct then IIS was setup correctly for PHP. If not then  you
should have stopped and fixed the problem at that point.

If you completed the guided setup and are now having problems displaying PHP
pages, there is most likely a formatting problem with the testing.php file
your trying to invoke.

Move the test.php file from the software pack to the new root
(wwwroot\base), and invoke it from the browser.

If it displays correctly then there is a formatting error of some kind with
the testing.php file your trying to invoke.

Kindest regards,
Michael...

WINSNORT.com Management Team Member
--
****************** Established ~ 2001 *******************
*          Visit Us @ http://www.winsnort.com           *
*      ~~ FREE WinIDS Snort installation guides ~~      *
*               ~~ FREE support forums ~~               *
* Snort: Open Source Network IDS - http://www.snort.org *
*********************************************************

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Hoel [mailto:jthoel at ...11827...] 
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 10:05 AM
To: tadios tefera
Cc: Billy Marshall; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] cannot authenticate to MSSQL database from BASE

Err.. sorry.  Got cut off at work

php is not parsing the file correctly.. it's not being interpreted by the
web server.



On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Jeremy Hoel <jthoel at ...11827...> wrote:
> if you just see the text of the php file and not the rendered version, 
> then php isn't executing..
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM, tadios tefera <ttefera at ...11827...> wrote:
>> I am new to php and base...
>> How exactly should I be using this test?
>> If I save it as testing.php in the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\base, and 
>> attempt to run it from a browser by 
>> http://ServerName/base/testing.php, i just get the text content of the
testing.php displayed in the browser.
>>
>> any suggestions?
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Billy Marshall 
>> <Billy.Marshall at ...9988...>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> tad,
>>>
>>> To test MSSQL basic connect using ADOdb is:
>>>
>>>
>>> include('/path/to/set/here/adodb.inc.php');
>>> $db =& ADONewConnection('odbc_mssql');
>>>
>>> $dsn = "Driver={SQL Server};Server=localhost;Database=northwind;";
>>> $db->Connect($dsn,'userid','password');
>>>
>>> or if you prefer to use the mssql extension (which is limited to 
>>> mssql 6.5
>>> functionality):
>>>
>>>          $db =& ADONewConnection('mssql');
>>>
>>>          $db->Execute('localhost', 'userid', 'password', 
>>> 'northwind');
>>>
>>>
>>> >>> tadios tefera <ttefera at ...11827...> 1/26/2012 4:02 PM >>>
>>>
>>> not sure if my earlier message was delivered....
>>>
>>> I have placed the connect.php file you attached in the "base" folder 
>>> on the IIS server.
>>>
>>> I have adjusted the authencitation info (password, etc...) for our 
>>> SQL
>>> server:
>>> $serverName = "SERVER-B";
>>> $usr="snort";
>>> $pwd="mypassword";
>>> $db="snort";
>>>
>>> And then I attempted to test by going to 
>>> http://SERVER-C/base/connect.php ; this is the reponse I got:
>>> "Fatal error: Call to undefined function sqlsrv_connect() in 
>>> C:\inetpub\wwwroot\base\connect.php on line 11"
>>>
>>> In my scenario, SERVER-B is the MSSQL server and SERVER-C is the IIS 
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Am I using the connect.php DB connection test file as you anticipated?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tad.
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM, tadios tefera <ttefera at ...11827...>
wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Thank you for your response Michael, I have placed the connect.php 
>>>> file you attached in the "base" folder on the IIS server.
>>>> I have adjusted the authencitation info (password, etc...) for our 
>>>> SQL
>>>> server:
>>>> $serverName = "SERVER-B";
>>>> $usr="snort";
>>>> $pwd="mypassword";
>>>> $db="snort";
>>>> And then I attempted to test by going to 
>>>> http://SERVER-C/base/connect.php ; this is the reponse I got:
>>>> "Fatal error: Call to undefined function sqlsrv_connect() in 
>>>> C:\inetpub\wwwroot\base\connect.php on line 11"
>>>> In my scenario, SERVER-B is the MSSQL server and SERVER-C is the 
>>>> IIS server.
>>>> Am I using the connect.php DB connection test file as you anticipated?
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Tad.
>>>> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Michael Steele 
>>>> <michaels at ...9077...>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> You might be able to use the attached .php file to test the DB 
>>>>> connection and users credentials to the remote MSSQL database.
>>>>>
>>>>> Kindest regards,
>>>>>
>>>>> Michael...
>>>>>
>>>>> WINSNORT.com Management Team Member
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>>
>>>>> ****************** Established ~ 2001 *******************
>>>>>
>>>>> * Visit Us @ http://www.winsnort.com *
>>>>>
>>>>> * ~~ FREE WinIDS Snort installation guides ~~ *
>>>>>
>>>>> * ~~ FREE support forums ~~ *
>>>>>
>>>>> * Snort: Open Source Network IDS - http://www.snort.org *
>>>>>
>>>>> *********************************************************
>>>>>
>>>>> From: tadios tefera [mailto:ttefera at ...11827...]
>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:31 AM
>>>>> To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>>>>> Subject: [Snort-users] cannot authenticate to MSSQL database from 
>>>>> BASE
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I have managed to get Snort 2.9.2 working on Windows 2008 R2 Servers.
>>>>>
>>>>> The generated data from Snort is being placed in an mssql database.
>>>>>
>>>>> My setup is as follows:
>>>>>
>>>>> - Snort on a SERVER-A
>>>>>
>>>>> - Database (MSSQL) on SERVER-B
>>>>>
>>>>> - Web Portal (IIS7) on SERVER-C
>>>>>
>>>>> But I am baffled as to how I can access the Snort data from the 
>>>>> database.
>>>>>
>>>>> I have installed and configured base, adodb, and php on IIS7 and 
>>>>> all indications are that the installs/configurations are correct.
>>>>>
>>>>> When I access the "base" site from a browser: http://SERVER-C/base 
>>>>> , I get the following error:
>>>>>
>>>>> ------------------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>> Warning: mssql_connect() [function.mssql-connect]: Unable to 
>>>>> connect to
>>>>> server: SERVER-B in C:\WinIDS\adodb\drivers\adodb-mssql.inc.php on 
>>>>> line 556
>>>>>
>>>>> Error connecting to DB : snort at ...15494...
>>>>>
>>>>> Check the DB connection variables in base_conf.php = $alert_dbname 
>>>>> : MySQL database name where the alerts are stored = $alert_host : 
>>>>> host where the database is stored = $alert_port : port where the 
>>>>> database is stored = $alert_user : username into the database = 
>>>>> $alert_password : password for the username
>>>>>
>>>>> ------------------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>> I have verified numberous times that the dbname, host, port, user 
>>>>> and password information are entered correctly in the base_conf.php
file.
>>>>>
>>>>> I have also tried changing hostname with IP and resetting the 
>>>>> password on the database instance with no luck.
>>>>>
>>>>> I looked into the SQL server logs and it shows encryption is 
>>>>> required for this communication. The exact error message in the mssql
logs is:
>>>>>
>>>>> "Encryption is required to connect to this server but the client 
>>>>> library does not support encryption; the connection has been 
>>>>> closed. Please upgrade your client library. [CLIENT: 192.168.15.111]"
>>>>>
>>>>> Client with IP 192.168.15.111 is SERVER-C.
>>>>>
>>>>> My question is, how do I configure authentication encryption to 
>>>>> access this database from Base?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>> Tad.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> --------- Keep Your Developer Skills Current with LearnDevNow!
>> The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft 
>> developers is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus 
>> HTML5, CSS3, MVC3, Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you
subscribe now!
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d
>> _______________________________________________
>> Snort-users mailing list
>> Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>> Go to this URL to change user options or unsubscribe:
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-users
>> Snort-users list archive:
>> http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users
>>
>> Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest 
>> Snort news!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Keep Your Developer Skills Current with LearnDevNow!
The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft developers is
just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3, Metro
Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you subscribe now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d
_______________________________________________
Snort-users mailing list
Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Go to this URL to change user options or unsubscribe:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-users
Snort-users list archive:
http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest Snort
news!






More information about the Snort-users mailing list