[Snort-users] Barnyard2 configuration and event generation

Steve Marotta smarotta at ...16014...
Wed Dec 19 11:38:07 EST 2012

I'm using Barnyard2 to read Snort unified log files and generate some text log of events found in those logs. The problem is, all I'm getting is that there's a bunch of TCP packets. I was hoping for more specific information like ARP, HTTP, event/transaction information, that sort of thing. Snort seemed to have things categorized nicely, but I couldn't see the specific event list. All I want is a text log with detailed, specific events that give an idea of what is going on.

The command I'm running to read the logs is:
barnyard2 -c /usr/local/snort/etc/barnyard2.conf -o test-attack1.snort.u2.1355871919

Is there another option I should try?

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED. IT MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.